Most people these days know that GMO stands for genetically modified organism. But many folks out there still don’t understand the problem with GMO’s and why we should be resisting their growing predominance in our food supply.
Here are some good reasons:
* There has been no long term research done on GMOs in relation to human and environmental health. However, short term research that has been done on lab animals has shown organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Since GMOs were introduced in 1996 there has been a substantial increase in reported allergies, and many serious health disorders in humans.
* GMOs are genetic pollution. As Vandana Shiva put it “You cannot insert a gene you took from a bacteria into a seed and call it life. You haven’t created life, instead you have only polluted it.”
* GMO contamination has caused economic losses for organic and non-GMO farmers who often struggle to keep their crops pure and free from GMO cross-pollination.
* Herbicide use has increased dramatically with the introduction of GM “Roundup Ready” crops. These herbicides create “super-weeds” that are resistant to the chemicals, contaminate water supplies, and are linked with sterility, hormone disruption, birth defects, and cancer.
* The companies that create GMO’s can not be trusted to have human health in their best interest. After all, they are the same companies that brought us Agent Orange, DDT, and PCB’s. Companies like Monsanto, often bully, gag, and attempt to discredit independent research that shows the harm in GMOs.
* GMO’s on average do not increase yields and do not help to alleviate world hunger.
* We have started compiling a list of scholarly research that show the negative effects of GMOs. If you would like to contribute to the list, please let us know.
Ways to Avoid GMOs:
* Buy organic. Certified organic products can not contain genetically modified ingredients.
* Avoid processed foods, especially those containing non-organic corn (corn syrup), soy, cotton seed oil, canola oil, and sugar beets (sugar).
* Get to know your local farmers. Most small diversified family farms don’t use GM seed. It’s the large mono crop farms that often do.
* Call for labeling of GM ingredients. Take Action
- Avoid Foods Made in China That Are Filled With Plastic, Pesticides, & Cancer-Causing Chemicals
- What you should know about Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)
- How Organic Farming Works
- Is NAFTA Good for American Farmers?
- How Eating This Spice Can Turn Your Life Around